Recently, I have been purging and organizing my life. Last week, I cleaned out my office closet and found a blast from my past - my "antique" Dell Inspiron (purchased during my college days) that died in late 2009. In early 2010, I bought a MacBook, and never looked back - mostly because I couldn't get the Dell to turn on. I had come to terms with the documents on there being gone forever, until I took the old hard drive to the most brilliant techie man in the world (or at least my world) who was able to retrieve all my old documents for me.
I have been on such an organizational journey with iTunes and iPhoto... listening to songs that were on said Dell (what a bizarre across the board collection of music I have...), rediscovering photos from my days of competitive dance and being Student Body Secretary senior year of high school (hello #tbt pics for months to come...), and sorting out documents and notes that were on the desktop (turns out I actually started writing my current project in 2009... it was just a cathartic journal entry at that point...who knew it would actually develop into something years later?!).
I came across a document I had saved called "Things to Live by in 2008." I believe my mom forwarded it to me in a chain email, and for whatever reason, I connected with it enough to save it to my desktop. What's amazing is that I actually did pay attention to what I read and currently do live by most of these 40 statements. I think that's call soul growth... hold on, let me call Joanie to verify...
I'm sharing it here on my blog - I figured it would be nice for these words to live somewhere viewable verses only on my desktop (especially a dead desktop).
Personal side notes -
#11 - I have simply switched the word "green" to "yerba matte" - basically the same, if not even better.
#13 - On it!
#24 - I am always burning candles and wearing the pretty things - it really does make a difference in my life to be surrounded by the luxurious little things - why not enjoy them every day?!
#26 - Deep Bleu Tea - The Chariot
#34 - YES.
40 Powerful Tips for a better you!
1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Buy a lock if you have to.
3. Buy a TIVO, tape your late night shows & get more sleep.
4. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement: "My purpose is to _______ today."
5. Live with the 3 E's: Energy, Enthusiasm, & Empathy.
6. Watch more movies, play more games & read more books than you did last year.
7. Make time for meditation, silence and/or prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
8. Spend more time with people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
9. Dream more while you're awake.
10. Eat more foods that grow on tress & plants. Eat fewer foods that are manufactured in plants.
11. Drink green tea & plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.
12. Try to make at least 3 people smile each day.
13. Clear clutter from you house, car, & desk & let new & flowing energy into you life.
14. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
15. Realize that life is a school & you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear & fade away like algebra class, but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
16. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince & dinner like a pauper.
17. Smile and laugh more.
18. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
20. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
21. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
22. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
23. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is about.
24. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, & wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: "In five years, will this matter?"
27. Forgive everyone of everything.
28. What other people think of you is none of your business.
29. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
30. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
31. Your job won't take car of you when you are sick, but your friends will, so stay in touch.
32. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful, or joyful.
33. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
34. The best is yet to come.
35. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
36. Do the right thing.
37. Call you mother and father often.
38. Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements: "I am thankful for ______." and "Today I accomplished _________."
39. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.
40. Enjoy the ride. Remember that this is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fast pass.